Hurstville Public School
Hurstville Public School was established in 1876 to replace the school which had been provided by the Church of England.
A sandstone building which accommodated up to sixty students was built on two acres (0.8 ha) of land purchased from Michael Gannon at the site occupied by the present day school.
Further land adjoining the school was resumed in 1881. Michael Lappin was appointed as the first teacher.
Whilst the school was built in the area then known as Gannon’s Forest or Lord’s Forest, it was the Inspector of Schools, Mr McIntyre, who suggested ‘Hurstville’ as the name for the new school which was soon adopted as the name of the local area. The accepted meaning of Hurstville is ‘Hurst’, a wooded hill and ‘Ville’, a small town.
Enrolments at the new school quickly increased with the arrival of the railway to Hurstville in 1884.
At that time one hundred students attended the school, however, by 1896 there were two hundred and five and in 1900 there were six hundred students enrolled.
The increase in student numbers resulted in the development of new structures such as the bell tower building in 1891.
In 1889, the school was divided into Boys’ and Girls’ Departments with Miss Millicent Aspinall being appointed Girls’ Mistress.
In 1892, the school became a Superior Public School comprising post-primary classes.
Opportunity classes were introduced in 1932 for academically gifted students in Years 5 and 6.
The Hurstville Junior Technical College for boys was opened on ten acres (4ha) of adjoining land in 1928.
The Hurstville Girls’ Domestic Science School was established at the site, remaining there until 1955.
The boys’ technical school later became the Georges River College Hurstville Boys’ Campus catering for Years 7 – 10.
Today Hurstville Public School has over a thousand students enrolled and continues to expand to offer quality education to the local community.
The Centenary of Hurstville Public School. 1876- 1976, Gudgeon, A. 1976.
Local History Vertical File, Hurstville Public School, Local Studies Collection, Hurstville City Library.