Justice of the Peace service (JP Service)
A Justice of the Peace (JP) is a volunteer judicial officer who is able to:
- witness the signing of documents, such as affidavits and statutory declarations
- certify copies of documents.
Some of these documents may be required in court proceedings, while others may be needed for people to access benefits, or meet legal responsibilities. Community members who require the assistance of a JP can access this service for free in the following locations (subject to availability). Please note, JPs providing the service are volunteers, and are not employed by Council.
A Justice of the Peace service is available at
Hurstville City Library - Tuesday 11.00am -12.00pm, Wednesday 11.00am - 12.00pm, Thursday 11.00am - 12.00pm and Saturday 11.00am - 12.00pm
Penshurst Branch Library - Thursday 10.00am -11.00am
Hurstville Museum & Gallery - Friday 11.00am - 12.00pm
As this is a volunteer service it is always advisable to contact the library on the day of your visit to check that the JP Service is available. If the JP is not available, Library Staff can provide you with a list of other JP’s within the area.
- No demanding, offensive or aggressive behaviour towards JPs will be tolerated, for any reason.
- Justice of the Peace officers that visit are not Council officers, they provide JP services on a volunteer basis.
- The Justice of the Peace officers may cancel their services at any time with no prior notice, and may not be available when you visit.
Alternative JP Services
Justice of the Peace Register - search by postcode, name or registration number for a local JP.